There are certain wargames in my collection that I just cannot get enough of. For these games I’m always looking for more to play with. This year three games got lots of new love. The candidates for my 2021 Wargame Expansion of the Year are:
- Harpoon V Expanded Critical Hit Tables (Admiralty Trilogy Group)
- The Naval SITREP #60 (ATG)
- The Naval SITREP #61 (ATG)
- Tank Duel Expansion Nr 1: North Africa (GMT Games)
- Tank Duel Tank Pack Nr 1 (GMT Games)
- Wing Leader: Legends 1937-1945 (GMT Games)
- Wing Leader: Supremacy 2nd Edition Update Kit (GMT Games)
Before we go any further, it’s worth mentioning here that there are two other titles I acquired in 2021 but—for various reasons—I deemed ineligible:
- Holland ’44 – Operation Market Garden – Northern Scenario (RBM Studios)
- Panzer Expansion Nr 1 (GMT Games)
First, the DQs. The Holland ’44 scenario I disqualified due to age. Second, as much as I love Panzer and have eagerly awaited the reprint of Expansion Nr. 1, it is a reprint and not “new” material.
Harpoon – The Expanded Critical Hit Tables are nice, but not necessary for play. The Naval SITREPs are always welcome content, but again missing them doesn’t mean game failure.
Tank Duel – The RMN Boys and myself like the Tank Duel system. It’s a very different game system that challenges the very defintion of a wargame. The North Africa expansion is very welcome, and one can never have enough tank “mats” to play with.
Wing Leader – One of my all-time favorite game systems. Legends adds depth and the Supremacy update keeps an already clean system that much tidier.
…and the winner is…
Tank Duel Expansion Nr. 1: North Africa. Not only does this expansion take the game into a new theater, it also cleans up the rules. This expansion, along with Tank Pack Nr. 1 ensures Tank Duel will be on the table often this coming year.