This time of the year everybody in the gaming world seems to be doing a Top 10 list. As I get ready to consider my Game of the Year I first looked back on all the games I acquired this year and decided to do some simple analytics. Along the way, I discovered a few surprises in my gaming acquisitions and plays. So here is my 2019 ‘By the Numbers.”
Total Titles Acquired – 56
- Full Games = 36 (64%)
- Expansions = 20 (36%)
- Wargames (Games + Expansions) = 28 (50%)
- Waro Games = 7 (12.5%)
- Strategy Games + Expansions = 11 (20%)
- Family Games + Expansions = 6 (11%)
- Thematic Games + Expansions = 4 (7.3%)
- Published in 2019 = 31 (55%)
After 2018 Mrs. RockyMountainNavy asked me to slow down in my gaming acquisitions. Didn’t quite work; this year I acquired 56 games as compared to 45 last year (an increase of 25%). Whoops! Sorry, dear!
As a wargamer I’m not surprised that over 60% of my acquisitions were wargame or waro designs. I am surprised at the number of expansions I bought; I usually don’t buy that many but this year there were so many good ones offered!
I try to not be a slave to the Cult of the New but apparently I can’t help myself with just over half my new acquisitions being published this year.
Game Titles by Era
- World War II = 15 (26.7%)
- Science Fiction = 14 (25%)
- Post-WWII/Cold War = 13 (23.2%)
- Modern = 8 (14.3%)
- Fantasy = 5 (9%)
- 18th/19th Century = 4 (7%)
Was mildly surprised by how many science fiction titles I acquired. I usually see myself as more of a historical gamer but maybe not as much as I thought….
- Purchase Secondary Market = 16 (28.5%)
- Purchase Direct from Publisher = 15 (26.7%)
- Kickstarter = 13 (23.2%)
- GMT P500 = 8 (14.3%)
- Trade/Chain of Generosity = 4 (7%)
Almost one-third bought on the secondary market (i.e. not direct from publisher but through another seller)? Those games usually cost more money; I hope I was buying them on sale or on some sort of discount!
Nearly one-quarter of my games from Kickstarter? I try to be very cagey with my Kickstarter pledges; maybe I need to button down on myself! Then again, several companies like Stronghold Games or Canvas Temple Publishing or Worthington Publishing use Kickstarter as their pre-order system.
This year I once again used the Board Game Stats app to track my games played.
- Total Plays = 220 (DOWN 39% from 2018)
- Games Played = 119 (UP 13% from 2018)
- ‘Quarters’ (25+ plays) = 0 (1 in 2018)
- “Dimes’ (10-24 plays) = 2 (10 in 2018)
- ‘Nickels’ (5-9 plays) = 3 (8 in 2018)
So…compared to 2018 I played more games overall but for a fewer number of times. Not surprised since last year ~25% of my game plays were quick, easy, family and kid games like Rhino Hero or Happy Salmon, Animal Upon Animal or ICECOOL.
I gave myself three challenges in 2019. I came close but actually didn’t finish any of them.
- My 2019 Wargame Challenge – The CSR > 22 of 24 played
- My 2019 Boardgame Challenge – The Golden Geek > 16 of 18 played
- 2019 RockyMountainNavy Origins Challenge > 20 for 21
The challenges accounted for nearly half of the different games played and something like a quarter of my total game plays. Between the challenges and new titles I didn’t have much other room to play games. Next year – fewer challenges to give myself more ‘me’ game time.
So…how did you do in 2019?